By: Head Chef Shaun Ursell (Bonfire Bistro, Winnipeg MB)
1 pound vermicelli (red lentil or classic)
1 pound boneless, skinless diced chicken breast
6 green onions, sliced into one inch pieces
16 whole basil leaves (fresh)
2 cups button mushrooms, quartered
1 pint cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
1 Tbsp garlic, minced or pureed
1 Tbsp ginger, minced or grated
1 inch piece of lemongrass, sliced finely (or substitute the juice of one lime and the juice of half a lemon)
1–16 oz can of coconut milk
1 cup of 35% whipping cream
1 Tbsp canola oil
1 tsp sesame oil
sea salt and ground pepper to taste
Optional Garnish: Dash of Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce, Dash of Fish Sauce, A few leaves of Fresh Mint
- bring a large pot of water to a boil (season water with sea salt, about one tablespoon for every gallon of water)
- heat a large sauté pan over medium heat.
- add canola and sesame oil. once the oil has warmed, add the chicken breast, mushrooms, green onions and garlic.
- stir and sauté for a few minutes and then add the coconut milk and whipping cream.
- add the ginger and lemongrass (or citrus juice). reduce liquids until the sauce has thickened. remove pan from the heat.
- cook the vermicelli to al dente (this will help ensure the flavour of the noodle is not washed out) and drain.